Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Trust? Who, me?

You know what baffles me?  Well, a lot of things, in general.  But at the moment, it's this: Whenever there's a problem, say a plumbing problem, I feel so much better knowing we have a plumber who knows what's going on, and has everything he needs at his disposal to fix it.  He's accessible, and when he's here, it's his top priority to get the pipes working again.  I can sit back and rest easy, knowing the plumbing is in good hands, and I don't need to fret about it.

So why is it so hard to trust God so completely?  He's so much more capable and versatile than the plumber!  He has a complete and accurate assessment of my situation at any given time, and he knows exactly what I need and when I need it, and I can trust Him to make the decisions for me that are in my best interest.  What a great setup! 

But as with plumbing, sometimes life doesn't go as we planned...  God may not have created those circumstances, but if something happens, it's because He chose to allow it.  And if He chooses to allow it, He has a reason for it.  He will get us through it, and give us what we need as we need it, and use those unpleasant circumstances to bless us in ways that would not have been possible otherwise.  God doesn't waste a hurt.  I know that.

But still, when Icky Stuff looms around the corner, and the worry threatens the present as well as the future, it shouldn't be so hard to take a deep breath and hand it over to a God so capable and loving, and to be willing to follow where he leads.  He knows what He's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment